Nowhere to see a movie!

Wei Ting Jen intewig at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 13:18:10 EST 2006

In my research on 1930s cinema, I came across an essay by a filmmaker who
traveled to the countryside outside Tokyo and was hounded with complaints
from the villagers. "We've heard all about these films, we want to see them
but can't"; "News radio and shibai just dont cut it". He reports being in
tears after listening to their pitiable state and witnessing their burning
desire to watch movies (specifically in this case, to watch war propaganda
films).
"Think about it, in Kanagawa, Shizuoka, Chiba, Saitama, Ibaragi, Tochigi,
these tiny villages far from the cities which contribute the most troops yet
receive the least benefits." (Nihon Eiga quote, sometime in 1938 I think)

Nothing really changes, huh?

WT

--
"The other ambassadors warn me of famines, extortions, conspiracies, or else
they inform me of newly discovered turquoise mines, advantageous prices in