Articles/work on modern Japanese horror

Alex Zahlten Alex.Zahlten
Wed Jan 18 17:58:04 EST 2006

Hi Jasper,

I've seen Ogawa Kinya's "Kaidan barabara Yurei" (if I remember the title
correctly) parts 1 and 3; hybrid is exactly the right word for the films
on several levels. He is definitely exploring the different techniques of
horror, with one film concentrating on more "psychological" methods, and
the other featuring a long, gruesome, and effective dismemberment scene.

But the films aren't played straight throughout, dissolving into
hysterical and hallucinatory scenes as soon as the revenging ghost starts
to appear- there is a campy joy of going too far that is a real break from
the first three quarters of the films.
And, of course, they are part-color Pink Films, and the color sections are
used both for the "erotic" scenes and the horror scenes.

Again, this is only if I remember correctly, but I believe both were
centered around family conflicts, mostly involving a greedy group doing
away with the innocent daughter before she can inherit some money, left by
the benevolent but absent (i.e. dead) father figure. She then comes back
to haunt them.

Best,

Alex

> --- Urspr?gliche Nachricht ---
> Von: "J.sharp" <j.sharp at hpo.net>
> An: KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
> Betreff: Re: Articles/work on modern Japanese horror
> Datum: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 0:10:41 +0900
>
> Sorry I can't be of much assistance about this query, but I think the
one
> thing to say about Japanese horror in the 80s is that there wasn't a lot
> of
> it. There does however seem to have been a treasure trove (not sure if
> that's the perhaps the right term) of V-cinema horror releases from this
> period, with stuff like Jouji Iida's Cyclops immediately springing to
> mind.
> Much of this seems to have slipped past the Western radar.
>
> On this subject, I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the
> ero-horrors
> of Ogawa Kinya, a director whose films were distributed by the pink
> company
> OP Productions in the 60s. I never see these discussed at all in the
> context
> of J-Horror, but it seems from the jmdb
> (http://www.jmdb.ne.jp/person/p0174890.htm) that he was quite active in
> these ghostly eroduction hybrids in the 60s. It constantly amazes me how
> many stones are left unturned when it comes to Japanese film history.
> Anyone
> seen any of these?
>
> For more info see: http://www.ds-pro.net/v-shop/dvd_01.html
>
> Not much help to the original question, I know!
>
> Jasper
>

> --
> Midnight Eye: The Latest and Best in Japanese Cinema
> www.midnighteye.com
>
> ===
>
> Available now in bookstores everywhere:
> The Midnight Eye Guide to New Japanese Film (Stone Bridge Press)
> by Tom Mes and Jasper Sharp
> http://www.midnighteye.com/features/midnighteye_guide.shtml
> "Easily one of the most important books on Japanese cinema ever released
> in
> English."
> - Newtype USA

&nbsp;