Nowhere to see a movie!

Jim Harper jimharper666
Wed Jan 25 09:23:36 EST 2006

That's actually worse than the UK. I'm always complaining about the lack of decent cinema facilities in the area, but I don't think you could find an urban urea in the UK with a population of over 300,000 without a decent-sized cinema.

  Jim.

Aaron Gerow <aaron.gerow at yale.edu> wrote:
  An article that just hit the wires confirms that not everything is rosy
when it comes to seeing movies in Japan. Those who live in Tokyo or
Kansai enjoy a large variety of movies, but when you move out of those
areas, sometimes it takes hours just to get to the closest theater.

The article said the last movie theater in Maebashi City in Gunma
Prefecture will close on the 29th, making Maebashi the first
prefectural capital without a movie theater. Luckily, a multiplex is
scheduled to open in April, but until then this city of over 300,000
people will not have one single movie screen. Currently, there are four
other cities in Japan with populations over 300,000 that have no
theaters.

The number of screens in Japan hit a low of 1743 in 1993 (after a peak
of 7457 in 1960), but has risen to 2926 at the end of 2005 with the
spread of multiplexes. I would suspect, however, that the number of
actual theaters is now actually lower than 1743 (anyone with figures on
that?).

Aaron Gerow
KineJapan owner

Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University

For list commands, send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html

http://www.flipsidemovies.com
http://jimharper.blogspot.com