Different Angle Query on Japanese Film Remakes and "Eight Below"

Michael McCaskey mccaskem at georgetown.edu
Thu Jul 6 16:09:00 EDT 2006

Dear Matthew,

Thank you very much for the information, which I will follow up on, and which I very much appreciate.

What I'm still after right now is how and when Japanese/American remakes got started, in order to provide a brief intro giving historical perspective.

The main things I'm focusing on are: 1) the remake situation now--and, secondarily, 2) the previous five decades of US remakes of Japanese films, mostly focusing on samurai action films, turned into Westerns, mainly in the 1950s and 1960s. Kurosawa's films Seven Samurai and Yojimbo are the main examples, but there are others as well. I may also 3) touch on recent US attempts to make "Japanese-seeming" films like Last Samurai, and Memoirs of a Geisha, dispensing with the need for a Japanese original.

Re 2), I found a particularly useful essay by Prof. Iwamoto Kenji, who specializes in film history at Waseda. In a book Iwamoto edited, he touches on this subject, and gives a pretty good brief account of how samurai films became popular in the US, how US film makers adapted the material, and how that in turn may have affected Japanese film making. He goes on to talk about how the samurai film image in Japan has changed more recently, as shown in films by Yamada Yoji, Takita Yojiro, and Kore-eda.

サムライイメージの変遷
Samurai Imeeji no Hensen
Evolution of the Samurai Image
(時代劇伝説、岩本憲児、東京:森話社 2005、268~289)

But so far I haven't tracked down much parallel information on other film genres for the same period, nor what history there may be of any Japanese remakes of US/European films or vice versa back before WWII. I have searched electronically in Japanese, but mostly what I have found is about the here and now, Ju-On 2, etc. I still have lots of books to go through for background, but maybe someone out there specializes in this area, and/or can give me some helpful tips, as you have.

Many Thanks,
Michael McCaskey

PS
The US DVD of perhaps the latest completed US remake, Eight Below, came out June 20--
and it seems to be exactly what Aaron predicted it would be:
"Stranded in Antarctica during the most unforgiving winter on the plant, Jerry's beloved sled dogs must learn to survive together until Jerry--who will stop at nothing--rescues them. Driven by unwavering bonds of friendship, enormous belief in one another and tremendous courage, Jerry and the dogs make an incredible journey to reunite in this triumphant and inspiring action-adventure the whole family will treasure."
The original film, Nankyoku Monogatari, has also been reissued in DVD form in Japan, where the US version is also available. The American version package says it was "suggested by" the Japanese film--it's the first time I've seen that phraseology, but it probably won't be the last.