Different Angle Query on Japanese Film Remakes

Aaron Gerow gerowaaron at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 7 01:33:16 EDT 2006

On 2006.7.6, at 10:14  AM, Michael McCaskey wrote:

> I also am trying to find some information, as historical background,
> on any significant pre-1940 Japanese remakes of any US or European
> films. There must have been some, I would think.

The main source, if it has not already been mentioned, is Yamamoto
Kikuo's Nihon eiga ni okeru gaikoku eiga no eikyo (Waseda Shuppanbu,
1983). It concentrates on the prewar and, since it focuses on
contemporary reports of influence, mentions many films that don't even
exist today.

Aaron Gerow
Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363