TIFF

Alexander Jacoby a_p_jacoby at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 12 08:30:52 EDT 2006

That comment doesn't strike me as very logical - it's rather like saying that novels are "the future of cinema" because enormous sums of money are paid to adapt popular books, whereas it's rarely true that enormous sums of money are paid for the rights to adapt popular films into novels...

  Once the spread of digital technology and internet distribution has made the release of new films on celluloid in cinemas completely archaic, I suspect that the future of cinema will be the preservation, restoration and redistribution of those films generally considered to be classics. After all, commercial theatre these days devotes itself more to reviving safe works of the past than to presenting new plays. I imagine there will continue to be a small audience who will want to see classic films on the screens for which they were intended.

  ALEX

Mathieu St-Pierre <cteve at hotmail.com> wrote:
        Maybe it's sad to say, but I think the future of cinema is video games...
  Before, video games would pay an enormous amount of money to get the rights for a movie to do a game adaptation of it (think about the video game crash of 1983: The E.T. game for Atari 2600 was part of that fault). Nowadays, big movie studios pay the lump sum to get their hands on the rights to do a Resident Evil, Silent Hill, etc...
  Also, think about one of Kinji Fukasaku's last project. He directed the video game Clock Tower 3. Also, think about big name international actor giving their voice for video games (Jean Reno, Takeshi Kaneshiro: Onimusha 3). The industy is in mutation and I think once again Japanese are ahead of the game in a wise way.

  Mathieu St-Pierre