Different Angle Query on Japanese Film Remakes

Michael McCaskey mccaskem at georgetown.edu
Wed Jul 12 10:15:18 EDT 2006

Dear Minaguchi-san,

The books I mentioned are by Sato Tadao, rather than Tanaka. Sato traces Ukigusa Monogatari and Ukigusa back to The Barker, and mentions several other remakes. He does not connect Tokyo Monogatari and Make Way for Tomorrow, but a number of others do. There are three instances below.

1)
Article:
"Ozu's Tokyo Story and the 'recasting' of McCarey's Make Way for Tomorrow," by Arthur Nolletti Jr.

in
Ozu's Tokyo Story
Series: Cambridge Film Handbooks
Edited by David Desser
ISBN-13: 9780521482042

2)
Comment:
"However, just as the once dismissed or nervously proffered early films of Robert Bresson (before he arrived at his 'spiritual style') have been the subject of increasing and admiring analysis, those of Ozu have recently received more attention, not so much to tame and taxonomize them for the myth of Ozu as minimalist, but to celebrate their tremendous achievement. In turn, the plotless 'purity' of Ozu’s postwar family dramas has been reconsidered to take into account their strains of satire and melodrama, their often brusque humour, and their continuing debt to American cinema. (TOKYO STORY, it is often noted, was inspired by Leo McCarey’s MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW.) Clichèd descriptions of Ozu as 'the most Japanese of directors' and a Zen elegist and tragedian have been, if not overturned, inflected and complicated by such studies as Shigehiko Hasumi’s sly reading of Ozu’s 'excess of clarity' and David Bordwell’s magnificent film-by-film traversal of the career."

from:
http://www.e.bell.ca/filmfest/cinematheque/programmes_description.asp?progID=2&subProgID=78&subFlag=1

3)
US university film course syllabus:

"Compare a film made by a Japanese director and the same film made by an American director relative to the differences in the ways the films are handled (e.g. Rashomon/Outrage; Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven; Ringu/Ringu; Tokyo Monogatari/Make Way for Tomorrow etc.)"

DEPARTMENT OF FILM STUDIES FILM 26 NATIONAL CINEMA: JAPAN
ASSIGNMENTS JOHN BEATTY
http://userhome.brooklyn.cuny.edu/anthro/jbeatty/COURSES/JapaneseFilm/assignments.htm

I have ordered more books about Ozu, to learn more, including one by Sato Tadao exclusively about Ozu, to look for more references. The only books I have on hand specifically on Ozu now are two French translations of: Ozu ou l'anti-cinema, by Yoshida Kiju; and Ozu Yasujiro, by Hasumi Shigehiko (Cahiers do Cinema).

With Best Wishes,

Michael McCaskey