TIFF

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Wed Jul 12 19:52:45 EDT 2006

What disturbs me about the announcement is less the prospect that the
TIFF will move away from film (though that is a matter of concern for
me), but the fact that the proposed venue will be using the term
"contents." As I note in a brief analysis of recent Japanese government
film policy that will appear in Midnight Eye (tomorrow?), that policy
evinces a disturbing emphasis on film as just one of many commercial
audio visual "contents" to fill the containers of computers, DVD
players and broadband internet. (I personally hate the word
"contents"!) There is little thought to the processes of artistic or
critical thinking that make films better (and presumably, more
commercially attractive in some cases). That is understandable given
that most government bureaucrats have historically only defined cinema
as commercial product, but for those of us who care about cinema in
other ways, there is something lacking. Calling the new TIFF the
"International Content Carnival" just really stinks of some bureaucrats
wanting to turn the film festival into a sales convention.

Aaron Gerow
KineJapan owner

Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University

For list commands, send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html