Copyright case (E+J)

Aaron Gerow gerowaaron at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 15 19:01:49 EDT 2006

David,

I'm not a lawyer, but I think these two cases revolve around the
definition of author. Especially the Japanese version of Article 53
seems to refer only to cases where the legal person owns the name of
the author of the work, but where authorship still resides in the
individual:

法人その他の団体が著作の名義を有する著作物の著作者である個人
Hôjin sonota no dantai ga chosaku no meigi o yusuru chosakubutsu no
chosakusha de aru kojin

The majority of cases in Article 15 can't apply here because that
article is all about attributing authorship only to the legal
person--the individual working for the company is never referred to as
an author. I think paragraph 2 in Article 53 only refers to those
people cited as an exception in Article 15: those who as "stipulated in
a contract, work regulation or the like in force at the time of the
making of the work" can claim authorship. In those exceptions, the
legal body can use its name as the name of the author of the work, but
authorship lies elsewhere.

I unfortunately don't have my copy of the Roppo with me, so I can't
check if there have been any precedents concerning these articles. It
does look tricky, but I very much doubt the law would let some hack
studio photographer just announce that he is the author of some still
and gain all the rights--that would go against the principle of Article
15.

But maybe there are some lawers out there....

Aaron Gerow
Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363