Yubari bites the (coal?) dust

Alex Zahlten Alex.Zahlten at gmx.de
Sat Jul 29 06:38:02 EDT 2006

I guess everyone saw this coming after yubari declared bankruptcy, but it is a terrible shame. I was in the off-theater competition jury last year and was seriously impressed. Not only was it the first film festival I've ever been to where the citizens actually seemed involved (staging low-fi events everywhere, and enthusiastically interacting with all the guests influxing into the tiny town), it was also a central gathering point and exhibition venue for the Japanese Jishu film scene. The atmosphere was simply amazing. Tokitoshi Shiota, the chief programmer for Yubari, has been a staunch supporter of Korean films since long before the current boom, and Yubari's program, guest list, and juries reflected that.
I have heard various reports on this now, and some suggest that the festival is to be resumed as soon as Yubari recovers. I certainly hope so.

Alex Zahlten

alex at nipponconnection.de