Looking for a documentary on the history of cinema in Japan

Jonathan M Hall jmhall at uci.edu
Mon Jul 31 04:07:35 EDT 2006

Dear Professor Hermansen,

My favorite one for this purpose is Oshima Nagisa's 100 Years of
Japanese Cinema, produced for the BFI (British Film Institute) series
to commemorate the hundredth year of cinema.  Because Oshima narrates
the history in three chapters in the middle one of which he adopts the
first person tone, the film provides an effective tool to talk about
documentary style, issues of objectivity and speaking position, as well
as aesthetics.  Oshima makes his documentary entirely from clips of
films.    I have found that even students new to film studies do fairly
well in analyzing the film.

Yours sincerely,
Jonathan M Hall

-----
Jonathan M. Hall
Japanese Film, Media, and Modern Literature
Assistant Professor, Comparative Literature / Film & Media Studies

320 Humanities Instructional Building
UC Irvine, Irvine CA 92697-2651 USA
office: 1-949-824-9778
fax: 1-949-824-1992