Japanese cinema in Kansai

Aaron Gerow gerowaaron
Tue Jul 25 20:51:23 EDT 2006

If you are in Kyoto, I still recommend Okochi Sanso, the former home of
the great jidaigeki star Okochi Denjiro. It is a bit expensive (though
tea and cakes are included), but it is a beautiful garden and one of
the best views of Kyoto. There is also a small (TOO small) outdoor
museum for him.

http://kyotocity.cool.ne.jp/niwa/ookouchi.htm

For archives, there are a lot of places, but the main ones are probably
Toei's archive at Uzumasa and the Kyoto Bunka Hakubutsukan.

For graves, you should probably first go to Eigamura. I don't know if
it is still there but they used to have a panel display on where all
the famous people's graves were. I've been to Okochi, Bantsuma, Yoda,
Mattchan, Kinugasa, Makino, etc. For some that are close together, Onoe
Matsunosuke and Kinugasa are about 20 meters apart inside the
Ritsumeikan campus, and the Makino family's graves are in Tojiin about
500 meters south of that (the Ritsumeikan graveyard is technically part
of Tojiin).

Aaron Gerow
KineJapan owner

Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University

For list commands, send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html