J-horror Inquirer article

J.sharp j.sharp at hpo.net
Fri Jun 9 12:57:22 EDT 2006

I take all your points Aaron. But "Horror" is a pretty amorphous genre in
any sense of the word, having been used to describe films as diverse as the
numerous versions of DRACULA, DR JEKYLL AND MR HYDE, PSYCHO, WITCHFINDER
GENERAL, FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH, THE EXORCIST and oddities like VAMPYROS
LESBOS or Mexican wrestling films like SANTO VS FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER. My
previous potted history of the horror genre I guess was more applicable to
the gothic tradition as practised by Hammer and the Italians, and which I
see as more prevalent in the 60s Kaidan than in later American modern
horrors from TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE onwards.

As far as I can work out, the term was first coined in the early 30s when
the British censors formed the new 'H' for "Horrific" certificate in the
wake of the early Universal pictures. many of the German Ufa precedents had
never been seen in Britain: NOSFERATU's release was blocked by Bram Stoker's
widow, while THE CABINET OF DR CALIGARI was suppressed due to those very
British notions of good taste, or as one censor said at the time they were
concerned that the asylum scenes would upset people in the audiences who had
relatives in mental hospitals

Most of the discussions in recent western writing centred around Japanese
horror in the wake of the success of the Ring, for example the recent
Edinburgh University Press book Japanese Horror Cinema, have tried charting
a retroactive chronology that tries to find both local and foreign
antecedents to the recent so-called J-horror boom, and have spread their
search far and wide and come up with all sorts of ill-fitting examples
ranging from Mizoguchi's UGETSU through Nikkatsu's Roman Porno ANGEL GUTS
films to BATTLE ROYALE.

What I would argue is that Nobuo Nakagawa and the directors at Shintoho were
doing something very similar to the Hammer Studios in the UK, both in using
safely-removed historical settings to critique feudal practises, and in
emphasizing both the erotic and horrific elements of the stories, something
which was never possible in either country due to pre-war censorship
requirements. Thus modern horror became predicated on the short, sharp shock
criterion and the amount of blood-letting, and the gothic on both its
fantasy elements, its dream-logic and its exploitation of the cinematic
medium's expressive possibilities. Other Kaidan films like UGETSU don't
really fit this bill.

I wonder when the use of the Katakanised "horaa" term crept into common
parlance in Japan? I see the words "kaiki" (grotesque/fantastique) and
"kyoufu" (fear/horror) scrawled on some of the posters Jason alerted us to.
Wasn't the term "ryouki" (bizarre) also used to refer to the erotic horror
hybrids in Japan too, such as Noboru Tanaka's Rampo adaptation of Rampo's
WATCHER IN THE ATTIC. (And then again, don't the French tend to use terms
such as "fantastique" rather than "horreur" when talking about these types
of genre films?)

So while I agree to some extent that we should take into account the various
traditions in Japanese cinema and literature before we cast our net too
widely and pluck out various titles that don't really fit the bill, I would
also say that horror on a global level is a very tricky genre to define, and
regardless whether a film was made in any part of the world to fit into this
diverse genre, we should also look less at the content of the film in
question than the (desired) effect it has upon audiences.

This is a long, complex and fascinating discussion I think - sorry if I'm
boring anyone though...

Best,

Jasper
--
Midnight Eye: The Latest and Best in Japanese Cinema
www.midnighteye.com

===

Available now in bookstores everywhere:
The Midnight Eye Guide to New Japanese Film (Stone Bridge Press)
by Tom Mes and Jasper Sharp
http://www.midnighteye.com/features/midnighteye_guide.shtml
"Easily one of the most important books on Japanese cinema ever released in
English."
- Newtype USA