Assistance in identifying a film--There Are Three of Them!

Michael McCaskey mccaskem at georgetown.edu
Sat Jun 10 10:02:07 EDT 2006

Many thanks for the US buying information--I decided to get a copy myself from Tokyo, and already ordered it, but now I can also get a US version for easier class use. I hope Ms. Varner got your message in time--though the Japanese DVD is a fairly new release (July 2005), and may turn out to be enhanced, and/or have special features.

This seems to be the same film, but the ASIN numbers in Japan and the US are different:
Japanese DVD ASIN No.: B000093NPD
US DVD ASIN No.:  B0009IY9GY

But now it turns out that it's actually one part part of a cycle of 3 late 1960s horrorfilms, one of which must be the one Ms. Varner is seeking. This process became so interesting that I ordered all three myself.

THE MONSTER TRILOGY

This is a Toei Yokai/Monster Trilogy, all 3 available on US-format DVD, which includes:

1) http://amazon.imdb.com/title/tt0164402/

Vol. 1: Yôkai daisensô/Yokai Monsters: Spook Warfare  (1968)
  Directed by
Yoshiyuki Kuroda
Writing credits
Tetsuro Yoshida

US ASIN: B00008OTTK
Available second hand in US, for less than $10 at:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008OTTK/qid=1149945338/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-7941579-5519044?s=dvd&v=glance&n=130

2) http://amazon.imdb.com/title/tt0200301/

Vol. 2: Yôkai hyaku monogatari/Yokai Monsters - 100 Monsters  (1968)
 Directed by
Kimiyoshi Yasuda

Writing credits
Tetsuro Yoshida
US ASIN: B000093NPD

Available at Amazon for 17.99

and

3) http://amazon.imdb.com/title/tt0202627/

Vol. 3: Tôkaidô obake dôchû/Yokai Monsters 3: Along with Ghosts (1969)
  Directed by
Yoshiyuki Kuroda
Kimiyoshi Yasuda

Writing credits
Tetsuro Yoshida
US ASIN: B0000AINJX

Available at Amazon for 17.99

I plan to use at least a few clips from one or more of these in class, as examples of late 1960s horror, to compare with Juon 2, etc.

Yasuda was also involved in making many, if not all, of the original Zatoichi Series.

Thanks to Ms. Varner for initiating things, to Ms. Soddu for tracking the item down, and to Mr. Larson for finding where to get this Yokai Series in the US.

Michael McCaskey