Japanese 1960s Horror Classics?

Marc Walkow marcwalkow at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 13 18:37:39 EDT 2006

I would definitely nominate Nakagawa Nobuo's JIGOKU, from 1960.

An argument could even be made that this was the first original
"horror" film made in Japan, as opposed to a kaidan film or something
based on material from another source. It's certainly unlike anything
else made at the time, even in Nakagawa's own body of work. While not
necessarily scary per se, it's certainly disturbing and upsetting,
and absolutely not for children.

A legit US release of the film is due out on DVD this fall from
Criterion, and I produced a 40m featurette on the disc interviewing
the screenwriter and others. It should be a nice package

Marc Walkow