J-horror Inquirer article

Aaron Gerow gerowaaron
Thu Jun 8 13:16:27 EDT 2006

On 2006.6.8, at 01:09  PM, Michael McCaskey wrote:

> Thank you again--you're helping me a lot. I did find that there's one
> "nice" movie remake--"Eight Below," a movie about the Antarctic, to be
> released in a few months, a remake of Kurahara's "Nankyoku" (1983),
> which is available with subtitles as "Antarctica," but only on VHS--I
> think both versions are supposed to be heartwarming.

Actually, Eight Below was released in the US in February (the NYT, I
think, called it "doggie porn"--that is, a film shamelessly directed at
dog lovers). It was released in Japan in March using the same title as
Kurahara's film: Nankyoku monogatari.

Aaron Gerow
KineJapan owner

Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University

For list commands, send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html