Geisha films (E+J)

Mark Nornes amnornes at umich.edu
Wed Mar 8 08:12:36 EST 2006

By the way, I saw Memories of a Geisha last night. For what it is,
it's a nice film, entertaining film. Hardly the embarrassing piece of
clap trap I expected. What I found interesting was the way it
exemplified the conventional demands of both American and Japanese
feature filmmaking---at that fateful moment when Sayuri loses all
hope and stands on a mountain top overlooking the sea, you can't help
thinking that if this were a Japanese film she would have walked into
same ocean and ended it all, including the film.

Markus