KINEJAPAN digest 1779

mjraine at uchicago.edu mjraine at uchicago.edu
Mon Mar 13 04:32:53 EST 2006

It seems no-one else is willing to spill the sordid gossip in
response to Michael Kerpan's question about Mizukubo Sumiko
.... so here goes! It's a sorry tale. Her father forced her to
move from Shochiku to Nikkatsu to make more money, so she
attempted suicide. After that she lost her job, then after a
failed marriage in the Philippines she ended up as a dancer,
in Kobe or perhaps in Shanghai. Sort of like the hostesses in
Shimizu's Forget Love for Now. A reminder that the film
industry was part of a culture of commodified femininity that
film's like Shimizu's both exult in and protest. Mizukubo is
indeed a striking presence in the few films she made (I highly
recommend Jogakusei to yotamono, if you get the chance). It's
odd that she plays the ideal sister in Dragnet Girl and the
much more "Japanese" looking Tanaka Kinuyo plays the gang
girl. Miscasting, star vehicle, or Ozu's joke on "cultural
mimesis"?

Michael