Cops in Tokyo + Yuheisha

M Arnold ma_iku at hotmail.com
Wed May 17 13:27:28 EDT 2006

Thank you for all the responses, public and private! I hope I don't sound
too paranoid about this, but like I said, until last December the police
never bothered me, so this has been very educational. I made myself known to
the two koban near my apartment soon after I moved in--and even let
policemen into my messy room--when I reported my Japanese neighbors'
unneighborly "activities," so the police nearby have known who I am and why
I'm here. As far as my looks are concerned, occasionally people have joked
(?) that I look Middle Eastern, whatever that means to them, but others have
complemented (?) me on how shiroi I am, and often people say that I look
like U.S. military.

I'm not surprised that the police do this in Japan, but I am surprised by
what feels like a rapid increase in the number of overzealous cops on the
street. In a way I'm glad they're being so obvious about it all, but if they
have so much time to go around chasing shadows I sure wish they would do
something that would actually help to improve public safety, like enforce
the traffic laws once in a while, or keep the sidewalks clear.

I was hoping to write back and say how surprised I was that I didn't have
any trouble since my message a few weeks ago, but on Monday, as I was riding
home from Oizumi to Shinjuku, two uniformed policemen stopped me again. I
rode through a crosswalk on a one lane road against a red signal (after
stopping and looking both ways, when there was no car or pedestrian traffic
at all, and with at least two other bicycles crossing before and after me),
and two cops who were waiting about 30 meters down the sidewalk stopped me
with the excuse that I had crossed on a red light. I apologized, almost
happy that they were stopping me for a reason that was nearly legit, but the
next thing they said was, "Oh well, don't worry about it, it's not a big
deal. By the way, is this your bicycle?" They asked for my name and
gaikokujin registration card and called my bike number in by walkie-talkie.
When they confirmed it was my bike they let me go.

I still see an unusually large number of police prowling around every day
when I travel in and out of downtown, and sometimes they pause and check me
out. As I was walking home tonight from the supermarket, a cop car driving
up the opposite side of the road pulled over and shined its headlights at me
for a few seconds before moving on. I don't know what's going on but it
still feels pretty weird . . .

As I mentioned in the last message, although I doubt this has anything to do
with my police encounters, I have been in touch with a few "lefty" film
people over the last several months. Last week I attended the premiere
screening of Adachi Masao's "Yuheisha / Terrorist" at Athenee Francais. It
was a full house; I've never seen the theater so packed. There were a lot of
familiar faces in the audience, and the movie is filled with cameos by well
known directors, critics, musicians, college professors and more. The movie
is based on the story of Okamoto Kozo. After three Japanese terrorists
attack people at an airport, the one surviving gunman is thrown in prison,
where he endures various kinds of torture and starts to hallucinate about
his family, his comrades, and various revolutionary figures. It's an
interesting film to say the least, and it's very exciting to see Adachi back
in action as a filmmaker after so long.

When everyone left the theater and walked down the street to the nomikai, I
saw one police car and two policemen on bikes going up and down the road
along side us. Part of the conversation at the party revolved around whether
or not there were secret police agents in the audience. "Did you see that
strange guy standing by the entrance when we were going in . . . ?"

Michael Arnold