Kawashima's Ai no Onimotsu

Alexander Jacoby a_p_jacoby
Tue May 16 10:00:49 EDT 2006

Dear All,

  Has anyone seen the 1955 Ai no Onimotsu / Burden of Love, by Yuzo Kawashima. I'm puzzled by a slight discrepancy between what Richie and Anderson say about it and what Kinema Junpo say about it. R & A say that it's a satire on the haha-mono genre, as a family begins to feel the pressures of overpopulation. KJ says that it's about a health minister who advocates birth control, but does not apply the same rules to his/her own family. These two summaries are not strictly incompatible, but have rather different emphasis. I wondered, is this minister in this film a woman? This would explain how it could be a haha-mono parody and a political satire at the same time. Or are the two sources picking up on different aspects of a film with several plot strands? This wouldn't be untypical of Kawashima.

  Any clarification will be gratefully appreciated.

ALEX