Imamura Shohei

Rob Schwartz gangamati
Tue May 30 09:31:38 EDT 2006

It is a sad day.

It was Imamura's films and the Nuberu Bagu in general that got me
interested in Japanese film to start with and for five years, in late
eighties/early ninieties and again in the late nineties, I worked at
Imamura's film school, Nihon Eiga Gakko. I had many occasions to talk
with Imamura and he was indeed a warm, gentle and throroughly engaging
man. Both his films and presence were a true inspiration.

It is safe to say the Japanese film world, and Japan in general has
lost a tremendously important and distinctly humane man .