David Bordwell's Ozu and the Poetics of Cinema

Mark Nornes amnornes at umich.edu
Fri Nov 10 16:22:02 EST 2006

As many of you know, I have started an electronic reprint series at
the University of Michigan's Center for Japanese Studies Press.
Here's the URL if you haven't visited:

http://www.umich.edu/~iinet/cjs/publications/cjsfaculty/filmseries.html

One of the projects that has been in the works is David Bordwell's
book on Ozu. We are still in the midst of preparation, but some
industrious soul discovered the book—obviously, you can't hide
anything from Google. We have yet to make a page for the book in the
reprint series website. David will be writing a new introduction for
the electronic version. And we hope to improve on the photographs,
which really look poor. But it's out, and we are happy to make the
release of this a gradual thing.

So David has announced the reprint in his blog, and here I am
announcing it here. I'm including the text of his blog entry below,
but why not visit his homepage and check out what else is there?

http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/?p=59

You'll find a link to the book in his blog entry. Enjoy. Rethink Ozu.
Use it in your classes!

Markus

I Wrote a Book, But…; or, What Did the Professor Forget?

 From DB:

My 1988 book, Ozu and the Poetics of Cinema, is available again, I’m
happy to report. There’s a little backstory, probably of interest
only to those who follow the zigzags of academic publishing.

Around 1990 the British Film Institute declared the book out of
print. The US copublisher, Princeton University Press, agreed to keep
it in print under two conditions.

First, I would have to pay for the cleaning of the preprint material
(the sheets of plastic on which the master copies of the pages were
printed). Cost: $1000. Second, I would receive no royalties. I agreed
to the terms, since I wanted to have this book, for all its faults,
available.

So for about a decade, the book was still out there. I enjoyed the
anecdotal value of getting royalty statements reading: Your royalty
payment is $000.00. Still, all those decimal points sort of rubbed it
in. Wouldn’t $0 have been enough?

As Ozu’s centenary approached in 2003, I contacted Princeton to alert
them. Maybe there’d be a bump of interest in Ozu, and they might want
to do another printing. But the Press replied that, um, they had some
months before declared their edition out of print.

Publishers have a habit of not telling authors about decisions like
this. There’s no fun way to announce that a book is orphaned, or
maybe slain. Then too there’s the somewhat awkward matter of
returning a piece of intellectual property that might become an asset
some day. Anyhow, Jerry Bruckheimer wasn’t likely to pick up the
movie rights to Ozu and the Poetics of Cinema, and so after regaining
copyright control, I took the book on the road.

No surprise: Other publishers were not crazy about reprinting a big
fat book with lots of pictures, published fifteen years before and
probably bought by every soul who might ever want a copy. I’d hoped
that a book on very likely the greatest film director who ever lived
might be worth keeping around. But no, alas.

Every month or so, as the Ozu touring program roamed greater North
America in 2003 and 2004, a fan would email asking me to sell a copy
of the book. Web booksellers were demanding up to $600. The thought
of selling one to a book dealer at a jacked-up price, perhaps with a
signature affixed, did cross my mind, but I had only two copies of my
own.

Eventually I learned of the publishing program launched by the
University of Michigan Center for Japanese Studies. The Center had
begun posting out-of-print books on Japanese cinema online. I
contacted Markus Nornes, who generously sponsored and oversaw the
project.

I learn from a correspondent that the book is now available in pdf
form online.

Now you can read the book, and can even buy a print-on-demand copy if
you want. (I look forward to the $000.00 checks from Ann Arbor.) The
downside: The 500-plus pictures range from tolerable to terrible. I
also planned to write an introduction with updates and corrections,
and I still hope to do that. There’s even talk about replacing some
stills, perhaps with color frames.

So if you’re interested in Ozu, Japanese film history, or the poetics
of cinema, you might want to check this out. Of course you can
instead crack your piggy bank and order the single copy of the
original I’ve found on what our President calls the Internets.

If I were in an Ozu film, I’d probably now emit a sigh mixing
satisfaction and resignation. Then I’d reach for a beer. Or at least
an orange drink. No, a beer.

Update, November 10: I’d thought that print-on-demand copies would be
available, but Carsten Czarnecki points out that the Center site
doesn’t seem to indicate that. I’ll check further.

Update #2, same day: Our keen-eyed web tsarina Meg has found still
other copies of the original book available, at prices starting at
$118.95, here. Please remit 10 % finder’s fee to her.