Chicago screening: Anti-U.S. Bases in Asia Documentary Film - Mon. 7pm in Pick Hall

Jonathan M. Hall jmhall
Sat Nov 18 15:32:10 EST 2006

When I was in Tokyo most recently I remember seeing a report about
this film screening at the United Nations in NYC. (I may have the
facts wrong, please be warned.)  Apparently, the Yokota parents
travelled to the UN as well, where they visited the Italian
representatives to the UN in hopes of linking their protest to the
reputed  abductions of Italians by North Koreans in the 1970s. This
is the first time, in my understanding, that the abduction issue has
been so explicitly framed  transnationally (it has always been
international). We might consider how the film might have contributed
to this process--the idea of film as offering better avenues for
cross-cultural activism. etc.
jonathan