KJ Youtube Filmfestival

drainer@mpinet.net drainer
Sun Nov 26 10:14:42 EST 2006

I first saw this short in Japan, from the original DVD, and then a version
with the subtitles (I don't remember the original having them, but I could
be mistaken).

How many of the 75,761 viewers would have access to it were it not posted
online?

Prof. Gerow brings up a good point, as does Dennis, who works hard to make
content like that available for us as consumers.

Of course we all know that Youtube is permeated with copyright infringement;
whether the streams consist of old commercials, tv programs (old and new),
or even feature length films (I haven't watched any on the site, but I know
they are present).

When is it OK to view it?

I believe it's up to the individual.

Here's a bad example: I once looked for a Tokusatsu that I used to watch as
a child. Youtube had the opening scene and random bits. As far as I know
it's not currently available on VHS or DVD; I've also looked for it in
Japan. The only place that "may" have it is South America.

My argument looks week (just woke up...) -- what I think this all leads up
to is the following question: what is the audience supposed to do when
streams are copyrighted, but not available for purchase?

Is this a matter of supply and demand? How many of those 75,761 viewers
would actually purchase the DVD? How many of them even knew of its existence
before that? Is this all subjective?

I am sure there have been marketing studies on these matters. Anyone in that
field willing to share results with us?

-daniel