Kyoto on Film, 1945-1964

Richard Suchenski richard.suchenski at yale.edu
Fri Oct 20 01:39:50 EDT 2006

Although they both fall slightly outside the historical period you've specified, I would definitely try to track down two documentaries about Kyoto by major feature film-makers:  Kon Ichikawa's "Kyoto" (1969) and Nagisa Oshima's "Kyoto, My Mother's Place" (1991).  Neither of them is especially easy to locate, but they both seem very relevant to your thesis topic (you can probably see them at the Yamagata Documentary Film Library).  Another film that's very much worth looking at in this context is Toshio Matsumoto's "Nishijin" (1961), which is available on DVD in Japan as part of the 4-disc box set of his short films.

Best,
Richard