Anime and genre

David Desser desser
Mon Oct 2 10:06:14 EDT 2006

Coincidentally, regarding the discussion on this list of the question of
anime, genre and the live-action cinema, I just wrote an article (editorial
might be a better term in this instance) for the Dejima Japanese Film
Festival 2006 catalogue exactly on the issue of anime and Japanese cinema.
I note that most studies of Japanese cinema unquestionably and
unquestioningly equate the term "Japanese cinema" with live-action film;
alternately, most studies of anime write out the live-action cinema as if it
did not exist in Japan.  Of course there are exceptions (The MIDNIGHT EYE
GUIDE is a fine example), but for the most part the two are considered
separate and unrelated.  (And this has nothing to do with the fact of "film"
as a medium of expression nor "theatrical" vs. television or video.  I
suggest that most people now consume "Japanese cinema" in non-theatrical
modes.)  In the article I stress the need to write history and criticism
that accounts for both live-action and anime and I think an interesting
place to begin is to think about SAMURAI 7 and SEVEN SAMURAI.  It never
hurts to go back to the classics to think about the (post)modern.

David Desser