Mizoguch -- what else survives?

Michael E Kerpan kerpan at attglobal.net
Sat Sep 23 18:32:24 EDT 2006

I've managed to see the following Mizoguchi films -- and suspect there aren't
many more left to track down.

Furusato no uta / The Song of Home (1925)
Tokyo koshin-kyoku / Tokyo March (1929)
Taki no shiraito / The Water Magician (1933)
Orizuru Osen / The Downfall of Osen (1935)
Maria no Oyuki / Oyuki the Virgin (1935)
Gubijinsô / Poppies (1935)
Naniwa erejî / Osaka Elegy (1936)
Gion no shimai / Sisters of the Gion (1936)
Aien kyo / The Straits of Love and Hate (1937)
Zangiku monogatari / The Story of the Late Chrysanthemums (1939)
Genroku chushingura / The 47 Ronin (1941)
Miyamoto Musashi / Musashi Miyamoto (1944)
Meito bijomaru / The Famous Sword Bijomaru (1945)
Josei no shôri / The Victory of Women (1946)
Utamaro o meguru gonin no onna / Five Women Around Utamaro (1946)
Joyû Sumako no koi / The Love of Sumako the Actress (1947)
Yoru no onnatachi / Women of the Night (1948)
Waga koi wa moenu / My Love Has Been Burning (1949)
Yuki fujin ezu / Portrait of Madame Yuki (1950)
Oyû-sama / Miss Oyu (1951)
Musashino fujin / The Lady from Musashino (1951)
Saikaku ichidai onna / The Life of Oharu (1952)
Ugetsu monogatari / Ugetsu (1953)
Gion bayashi / Gion Festival Music / A Geisha (1953)
Sanshô dayû / Sansho the Bailiff (1954)
Uwasa no onna / The Woman in the Rumor (1954)
Chikamatsu monogatari / The Crucified Lovers (1954)
Yôkihi / Empress Yang Kwei Fei (1955)
Shin heike monogatari / Legend of the Taira Clan (1955)
Akasen chitai / Street of Shame (1956) A

I seem to recall that at least part of Fujiwara Yoshie no furusato (1930)
survives.  -- and also  some of the non-Mizoguchi portions of the 1929 "Asahi
no kagayaku"  still exist and were included on the recent Japanese DVD of
"Yuki" (is anything left of Mizoguchi's work on this).

Is there anything else out there anyone knows about?  And does anyone have any
idea on how to track down a copy of Fujiwara Yoshie no furusato  (assuming it
does, in fact, exist).

Oh -- and I wonder why Shochiku is releasing a DVD of "Bijomaru" and not the
(IMHO) better Miyamoto Musashi?

(Also still trying to track down more Naruse).  ;~}

MEK