broad request for suggestions: recent Japanese films

Lewis Cook lcoqc at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 28 03:12:55 EDT 2006

On Sep 24, 2006, at 6:29 AM, Steve Cavrak wrote:

> On Sep 22, 2006, at 11:11 PM, Lewis Cook wrote:
>
>> Some of my students are asking why I'm not screening any films
>> made after around 1970. What am I missing and what should I be
>> seeing?
>
> and
>
>> I wasn't asking for the names of directors (or for decades) but
>> the titles of recent films that can stand (or have stood) the test
>> of time, context (historical, sociological, filmographical, ethno-
>> political, etc.) deleted or attenuated. Most of my students
>> (undergraduates) don't have a grasp of the context, despite my
>> efforts to supply it. What they learn from film depends on what
>> they can see.
>
> As folks have suggested, there are lots of new films to choose
> from, maybe even too many :)
>
> But your second statement sound like a good starting point for an
> assignment that at least some of the more serious students in your
> class will be up to - identifying and nominating a film they would
> like to see based on reviews, recommendations, etc. The Japan
> Foundation has offered contemporary film series, and if there is no
> series coming up, a bit of research can find the recent ones.
>
> And for your students, the Japan Society and the Asia Society in
> New York have Film series which could be the basis of an
> assignment; often the films have discussions and the students could
> be required to report on and react to the audiences responses.
>
> Could be fun, and it would still support your curriculum.
>
> I'll also add two local favorites - Miyazaki's My Neighbor Totoro
> and Mononoke-hime.
>
> Steve

Forgive me for not replying sooner to the many helpful responses to
my query - I've been looking into several of the titles mentioned,
some are familiar, many others new to me.
I am grateful for all the suggestions.
Two brief comments:
1. No idea how others on the list think about this - I don't have an
interest in theoretical debates about genre per se - but I don't
consider anime to be of the same basic genre as 'movies.' That said,
I have the highest admiration for Miyazaki's work, and will be
screening at least two, perhaps three titles - although most are
already familiar to a majority of students in the class. (I have not
seen any other anime which are even closely comparable.)
2. re: Steve's suggestion above, I strongly agree with the principle
idea here, and have been encouraging students to do some exploring
and informal research on post-70s film. This has been working well
enough that it is turning into a collective project involving the
whole class (to varying degrees). I expect it will be instructive for
the students and useful for developing a broader curriculum for the
course.

Lewis Cook