broad request for suggestions: recent Japanese films

Jim Harper jimharper666
Sat Sep 23 15:39:35 EDT 2006

I'm glad you mentioned Audition- I was considering mentioning a few, and Audition was right behind Battle Royale.

  Depending on how far into genre territory we go, I'd also include Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Cure (1996) and Pulse (Kairo, 2001). They're both exceptional films.

  Jim.

Jesse Kalin <kalin at vassar.edu> wrote:
      One has, of course, to shift sensibilites for films of the 90s.  Two suggestions: First, Kitano's Hana-bi ("Fireworks"-1997) and Sonatine (1993); and second (another target on the back?), two films of Miike: Odishon ("Audition"-1999), a horror/ghost film that matches anything from the 50s or 60s (and as beautiful as Kobayashi's Kwaidan), and Visitor Q (2001), which matches the best of Oshima and, perhaps even more comparable, Imamura.

  Jesse Kalin

http://www.flipsidemovies.com
http://jimharper.blogspot.com