broad request for suggestions: recent Japanese films

J.sharp j.sharp
Mon Sep 25 06:03:07 EDT 2006

If you'll forgive me for this shameless self-promotion plug, but the
Midnight Eye Guide to New Japanese Film written by Tom Mes and myself was
written with this intention, of fleshing out discussions on Japanese film
past the 50s and introducing directors we deemed worthy to a wider audience,
at the same as explaining why we thought they were important, but with the
focus mainly on stuff that was accessible to Western viewers. Its probably
the best place to start if you want to start catching up on what, lets face
it, is now half a century's worth of new material from Japan

Jasper Sharp

>I wasn't asking for the names of directors (or >for decades) but the titles
of recent films that >can stand (or have stood) the test of time....
>Most of my students (undergraduates) don't have a grasp of the context,
despite my efforts to supply it. What they learn from film depends on what
they can see. Lewis

--
Midnight Eye: The Latest and Best in Japanese Cinema
www.midnighteye.com

===

Available now in bookstores everywhere:
The Midnight Eye Guide to New Japanese Film (Stone Bridge Press)
by Tom Mes and Jasper Sharp
http://www.midnighteye.com/features/midnighteye_guide.shtml
"Easily one of the most important books on Japanese cinema ever released in
English."
- Newtype USA