chance to sub five films

Alexander Jacoby a_p_jacoby
Thu Sep 28 10:39:30 EDT 2006

Some of the many films mentioned have been subtitled in prints at the  Japan Foundation, Kawakita Institute or Film Center, but never made  available on DVD. However, if I had to suggest films that had never  been subtitled anywhere at all, I wonder about Miyoji Ieki. Only Half  Brothers has ever been struck in a subtitled print. Films like Shimai  and Tomoshibi are well worth wider distribution (and, indeed, Half  Brothers, in its subtitled print, deserves far more screenings than it  ever gets)!

  I'd love to see subtitled copies made available of two silent films by  Shigeyoshi Suzuki, Tears Behind Victory and The Reclaimed Land of Bears  (titles sound better in Japanese, but I can't remember them!). These  were screened at Pordenone in 2001 and both were superb; in fact I  prefer them to Suzuki's much more famous What Made Her Do It?

  ALEX

 All New Yahoo! Mail ? Tired of Vi at gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you.