CFP reminder-Mediations and critique-EAS graduate conference at the U of Toronto, 15 Mar '08 (deadline Dec 21)

Jonathan M. Hall jmhall
Sat Dec 15 11:34:13 EST 2007

From: Olga Fedorenko <olga.fedorenko at utoronto.ca>

CALL FOR PAPERS

Eighth Annual East Asian Studies Graduate Conference at the
University of Toronto
Mediations and Critique: Perspectives on East Asia

University of Toronto
Saturday, March 15, 2008

What insights can we gain by thinking of East Asian societies as
always already mediated by language, disciplines, discourse, symbolic
systems and representations? Our conference seeks to challenge
participants to critically consider how various mediations are
embedded in social existence and how we accommodate for them in our
research on China, Korea and Japan.

The interdisciplinary conference welcomes research from graduate
students in all fields of East Asian Studies, including but not
limited to history, sociology, anthropology, economy, art, literature
and philosophy. We invite papers that critically engage topics
relevant to the issue of mediations in the East Asian context, such
as (but not limited to) the role of media in constituting and
defining a society; mediation of identities through technology and
media; constructions of the other; history of mediations and
mediations of history; historical development of media and its
implications; questions of ontology, epistemology and phenomenology
as they relate to the issues of mediations in East Asia.

We invite all those interested in presenting papers to submit an
abstract (300 words maximum) and brief biographical information by
December 21, 2007. We encourage submissions from both individuals and
panels of three (panellists should send individual abstracts and a
panel abstract).

Please indicate whether you would like your completed paper to be
considered for publication in the East Asian Studies Forum, journal
published by graduate students of the East Asian Studies department
of the University of Toronto.

Selected participants should submit completed papers by February 4,
2008. Those who wish their papers to be considered for publication
should submit a publication-ready copy (about 3500 words). During the
conference, participants will be given 15 minutes to present their
work, so actual presentation papers should be about 1500-2250 words
long. Additional information will be posted on the conference
website, www.chass.utoronto.ca\easgsc.

Please email your submissions and questions to the Conference
Committee at eas.conference.2008 at gmail.com

Olga Fedorenko (on behalf of the 8th EAS GSC team)