WB involvement with Japanese films

Alex Zahlten Alex.Zahlten at gmx.de
Mon Feb 5 10:18:31 EST 2007

I don't actually think Warner's involvement can simply be reduced to one persons involvement, though that always figures in more than one might think. But Warner Brothers has been feeling out possiblilities for producing outside of Hollywood for quite a while. In 2004 they invested in a company that was formed to produce A Very Long Engagement in France. This company also applied for subsidies from the French government and these were (if I remember correctly) originally granted, but other French producers sued, claiming that the company was only a front for Hollywood and that the film was not really a "French" film - much to the chagrin of director Jeunet. The court eventually agreed that the film wouldn't be eligible for subsidies, i.e. despite a crew, staff and cast that consisted almost entirely of people with French passports working in France. Oliver Stone's Alexander, on the other hand, recieved subsidies from the French government without legal wrangling.

So the nationality of a film is at the center of a legal and critical discussion- Aaron (no doubt consciously and polemically) phrased the question by asking if Hollywood (whatever it may be) is "invading the market for Japanese films". That is certainly a thought that might have crossed some Japanese critics' and industry figures' minds as well, but is it an adequate way to think about (these) films? I remember that the Deutsche Bank owned a stake of somewhere between 1-2% of Toei, at least until two years ago. Does that make Toei films 1-2% German? How "American" is Death Note, and how "Japanese" is Takashi Shimizu's Hollywood remake of The Grudge?(How "American" is Hollywood, for that matter, which produced loads of films with hundreds of millions of Dollars funneled in from german tax shelter film funds throughout the 1990s?)
In production and distribution, film has been pretty transnational from the beginning. But has that quality changed, or are the discourses surrounding it changing? Is there a specific quality this discourse when it turns to "Japanese" film? Jason, can you give some more information on how media in Japan reacted to Death Note?

Alex

-------- Original-Nachricht --------