For the first time in 21 years...

Mark Nornes amnornes
Sat Feb 3 17:47:09 EST 2007

On Feb 1, 2007, at 9:01 AM, Aaron Gerow wrote:

> One other significant development is the appearance of Warner
> Brothers on the chart of Japanese film distributors, sporting major
> hits with the two Death Note films and Brave Heart. Can Hollywood
> be making up for its losses in the Japanese market by invading the
> market for Japanese films?

Thanks, Aaron, for writing that post. It was very interesting. It
sparks a question, tho:

Can anyone explain what's behind this? Warners has been distributing
in Japan for decades?meaning they had an office in Tokyo that was
deeply involved in the marketing and translation of its films. I
don't know the details beyond that, but the situation Aaron describes
above suggests a shift of some sort or another. Anyone know?

Markus