seeking participant for AAS panel on "odd bodies"

Julia Bullock jbullo2 at emory.edu
Thu Jul 5 20:06:31 EDT 2007

I am seeking participants for a panel on the topic of "Odd Bodies:
Depictions of Alternative Corporeality in East Asian Narratives."  This
panel is devoted to an exploration of the way the human body has been
depicted in “abnormal” and fantastic ways in fictional narratives, and
the meanings attached to such alternative depictions. “Narrative” is
interpreted widely here to include literature, film, graphic novels,
animation, or other forms of media. I will give preference to proposals
that attempt to situate such narratives in the specific historical and
cultural context that produced them. My own proposal will deal with the
way modern Japanese women writers have envisioned the body differently
in an attempt to overcome the limitations placed on women in postwar
society, but I am particularly interested in soliciting proposals from
scholars working on anime or manga. Abstracts should be sent to Julia
C. Bullock, Assistant Professor, Emory University at jbullo2 at emory.edu
by August 1st.

Julia C. Bullock
Assistant Professor, REALC
Emory University
1707 N. Decatur Road, N.E.
Atlanta, GA  30322
ofc (404)727-2168
fax (404)712-8511

"Keep your bowler on in times of stress."
--Emma Peel