Bordwell on Nippon: Liebe und Leidenschaft in Japan

David Lewis david.lionel.lewis at sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 25 21:33:22 EDT 2007

hmm! I might have sounded a bit mean to poor Aya

well, even though her duracell-bunny-ness can at times be a bit hard on my
fragile nervous system, I actually do think that she has a solid (and
somewhat funny) take on the super-genki girl with an attitude who discovers
the value of team spirit and hard work (Ace wo Nerae, Attack no. 1,
Attention Please ...), but to me, this was hardly more than an aidoru-type
routine (the Ueto Aya kata?), and I was therefore surprised to see her
manage to successfully turn into Yamaguchi Yoshiko (or was it the other way
around?).

I have only seen bits of Yoshitsune, and don't remember spotting Ueto Aya in
it. Taiga dorama are pretty scary stuff to me - to get to the end, you have
to take a sick leave or something - but I'll try to give Yoshitsune a try.

and I don't think I've seen My Little Chef, but with Abe Hiroshi and Yada
Akiko, it must be pretty good

David Lewis