reputation of Ringu series

Michael McCaskey mccaskem at georgetown.edu
Wed Jul 25 22:09:47 EDT 2007

Two recent books that might be useful are:

1) Horaa wa koushite tsukurareru: kyoufu no eiga-jutsu ("This Is How Horror Is Created: The Art of Filming Fear"), by Washizu Yoshiaki (Tokyo: Kinema junpo sha, 2006)

ホラーはこうして創られる:恐怖の映画術 鷲巣義明  キネマ旬報社

This book contains a series of essays and dialogues with noted horror film makers, screenwriters, et al. - one is a dialogue/interview with Ringu screenwriter Takahashi Hiroshi, and another is a dialogue/interview with Nakata himself re Ringu films and Dark Water - and there's a supplement at the end re Japanese influences on Western horror films, with two essays focused on Ringu films.

2) Horror: The Definitive Guide to The Ring, The Grudge, and Beyond, by David Kalat (New York: Vertical, 2007)

Another that you probably already have consulted is:

The Ring Companion, by Denis Meikle (London: Titan Books, 2005)

A Japanese magazine I recommend rather hesitantly is:

ホラー M (ミステリー) 2007年 08月号 [雑誌] - ぶんか社

The current isse is listed above, and you could get it from Amazon Japan, but this particular issue might not be useful for your topic. You might check to see if SOAS in London has a file of issues, since they have a East Asian Film Program.

A very good web site, which contains lots of very up-to-date information on Japanese horror films, and with which one of the members of this list is affiliated, is:

http://www.mandiapple.com/snowblood/index.html

The site also has an attached discussion group you can join, I think, where you may also find some very good answers to your questions.

With Best Wishes,

Michael McCaskey