forest philosophies

Jonathan M. Hall jmhall at uci.edu
Tue Jun 5 07:27:19 EDT 2007

Just a quick thought to follow on Melek's inspiring broadening of our
discussion:  A great resource in English to consult on both Yanagita
and Kyoka is Gerald Figal's Civilization and Monsters (Duke UP,
1999).  I don't have the text near me, so I can't recall precisely
what Figal has to say.   At least from my own readings, sometimes
inspired sometimes by Figal, I remember quite significant differences
between Yanagita and Kyoka. For the former, there seems to be a
fundamentally modern logic of nostalgia, the need for science to
categorize and save the past, while for the latter there seems a
deliberate refusal to settle for the dominance of a modern linear
temporality.  It would be interesting to see what similar differences
we might find in these filmic representations of forest/nature.  I
can imagine Himatsuri's final image of boots and dogs hovering above
a glistening bay (spoiled with oil) has more in common with Kyoka
than Yanagita, while Miyazaki seems, to me, to lie fully within the
logic of nostalgia.

Jonathan

-----
Jonathan M. Hall
Japanese Film, Media, and Modern Literature
Assistant Professor, Comparative Literature / Film & Media Studies

320 Humanities Instructional Building
UC Irvine, Irvine CA 92697-2651 USA
office: 1-949-824-9778
fax: 1-949-824-1992

Co-Chair, Queer Caucus, Society for Cinema and Media Studies