Kawase Naomi in Osaka

Kim Icreverzi kicrever at uci.edu
Thu Jun 7 12:12:45 EDT 2007

Dear KineJapan-ers,

With belated introduction to follow, I thought I'd follow up on this
earlier message to let those who don't already know that Kawase will be in
Kansai again on July 1st, this time at Osaka's Planet Plus One Cinema.  In
addition to the director's talk she'll give that day, Planet Plus One will
be doing a really large showcase of Kawase's work, planned already before
the run at Cannes (information in Japanese at
http://www.planetplusone.com/special/post_2.php).  Note that at least the
print of Kaleidoscope (1999) will be shown with English subs.

For any who missed A Page of Madness in Tokyo a few months ago, there will
also be another opportunity to see it when the Museum of Kyoto (Kyoto
Bunka Hakubutsukan) screens it June 28th and 30th
(http://www.bunpaku.or.jp/exhi_film.html).

With respect to my introduction, I am a graduate student in Comparative
Literature at the University of California in Irvine focusing on body
genre cinema, feminist theory and Japanese cultural production (especially
postwar cinema).  Currently at work on my master's project, I am looking
at Takashi Miike's Imprint, considering the critical work of
representations of (extreme) violence and the ethics of reading (esp.
"Japaneseness").  At the moment I'm at Kobe University for one semester
doing research involving obscenity law (related tangentially to the Miike
project through a question of bodies, bounds, and censorship).

Yorosiku onegaisimasu,
Kim

> FYI.
>
> I incidently came across the information that Kawase Naomi will be giving
> talkshow at Osaka Museum of History (http://www.mus-his.city.osaka.jp/)
> this
> Saturday. It begins with a screening of her earlier Cannes Golden Camera
> winner "Moe no suzaku" at 12:00 followed by her talk at 13:50. No
> admissions
> between the two parts.
>    Best,
>
> Christian M. Hermansen