Campaign

Mark D. Roberts mroberts37
Tue Jun 12 19:50:01 EDT 2007

I also found this quite an eye-opening view inside Japanese politics.
As Markus points out, there is no narration and a completely
undramatic structure, and thus a sense of subtlety about the story of
the election. At the same time, a number of things are so glaring
that they don't need any narrative emphasis. Overall, this is a very
satisfying effect.

For me, the two interesting relationships in the film are between the
candidate, Yamauchi, and the party, and how he works together with
his wife. The LDP wants to strengthen the party power base in
Kawasaki City, so they select what they consider a suitable candidate
and then parachute him into the neighborhood. This almost appears to
be standard operating procedure: find the face, the general profile
(Yamauchi-san is a "successful" small business owner), and then
assign him to a district. Just by showing the interior of the
candidate's apartment, the filmmaker deftly conveys that Yamauchi has
no intention of sticking around unless he wins. For somebody running
for a local position in a city council, this arrangement is remarkable.

The LDP machine kicks into gear with a team of volunteers who fold
flyers and help coordinate his campaign. Since he talks very little
with the constituency, and since he seems woefully ignorant of their
needs, we get more insight into Yamauchi's relationship with the
party. They are all experienced hands, give him lots of strict advice
about how to act in public, and their treatment of Yamauchi's wife is
incredibly condescending. The film shows how this is all straight
from the party playbook, and it's quite palpable how a structure of
obligation is constructed. The campaign is run like a very efficient
advertising blitz, the important points being the frequency and scope
of exposure, the soundbite campaign issues, correct bowing ? all the
seemingly superficial elements ? never mind getting somebody who
actually represents let alone understands the constituency in any depth.

There's more, but for me, this went a long way to explain the power
of the LDP, showing how the party uses traditional structures of
social obligation to create loyal party insiders. They continuously
remind Yamauchi that they're doing him a big favor, "this time only",
etc., and that he couldn't get elected without their support. In this
respect, the scene Markus mentioned with the visit by Koizumi is
really funny.

Highly recommended.