Used book stores

Peter Larson peter_larson2000
Sat Jun 16 20:54:00 EDT 2007

There's one in Osaka as well, close to Umeda station.

----- Original Message ----
From: Bruce Baird <baird at asianlan.umass.edu>
To: KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2007 6:19:14 PM
Subject: Re: Used book stores

Dear Tsuneo,

This is not an answer to your question, but I am assuming that everyone on this list either knows of or will want to know of Mandarake which is a three floor collection of manga and anime and memorabilia stores on the second through fourth floors of the Nakano Broadway mall just north of the Nakano Station in Tokyo.

Mandarake is divided into subsections such as shojo, shonen, super robot, sentai, and etc, and most of the items are shrink wrapped so you can't just go there and browse.  It is also oriented towards the collectors market so many of the items may be out of the price range of an academic (unless you are that old fashioned kind that comes from money), but they have seemingly everything!!  If there is something you really need to read, but you are having trouble finding in the library, its the place to go to get it.  Its worth a trip even if you aren't a manga/anime researcher just to experience the place.

Best,

Bruce

PS.  I am going to forward your request about Kansai bookstores to the Ponja-genkon list.