Izutsu Kazuyuki

Alexander Jacoby a_p_jacoby at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 3 07:06:01 EST 2007

Thanks for clarification about the Kitamura film. Now, two questions about Kazuyuki Izutsu, specifically about Pacchigi which I've not yet had the chance to see.

  1) I know that Pacchigi won the Kinema Junpo Best One. I just wondered which other of his films have ranked in the KJ listings, and how high?

  2) I've seen Pacchigi described as a reworking of Romeo and Juliet. Is that actually acknowledged, in the way that, say West Side Story is specifically a reworking of Romeo and Juliet, following Shakespeare's plot closely and with equivalents for the main characters? Or is it merely similar, in the sense that it's another story about star-crossed lovers?

ALEX