Moore+Hara=Michigan

Mark Nornes amnornes at umich.edu
Mon Mar 5 16:38:43 EST 2007

I'd like to send an invitation out to all Kine-Japaners out there
within spitting distance of Ann Arbor. I'm organizing a big Japanese
film event here on May 5. All are welcome.

Around the time that Fahrenheit 911 came out, I was out drinking with
Hara Kazuo in Shinjuku and the subject of Michael Moore naturally
came up. Hara had heard through the grape vine that Moore really
liked his work. I told him we should do something, me being in
Michigan and all.

It took a few years to get around to it, but last fall I contacted
Moore with our Center for Japanese Studies. Asked him if he was
interested in doing something with Hara. Moore's in the middle of
editing Sicko, his new film on healthcare. And it's usually
impossible to extract directors from editing rooms during post. But
he got right back to us and said he'd drop everything for a chance to
meet Hara. He wrote that he had seen Emperor's Naked Army Marches On
during the production of Roger and Me and was deeply influenced by
the experience. Think about Moore's work and Hara's work, and it all
makes sense.

So on the evening May 5, at our lovely movie palace The Michigan
Theater, we'll be putting Hara and Moore on the same stage to see
what happens. If you're in the neighborhood, please drop by. Let me
know you're coming.

We're showing Eros on Friday and Shingun after the discussion.
Details as they unfold......

Markus

A. M. Nornes
Associate Professor
Department of Screen Arts and Cultures
Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
University of Michigan