Sumo.....

Mitsuo Maeda mitso2000 at ca.rr.com
Wed Mar 14 22:14:34 EDT 2007

Excuse me for the brevity of my initial post.  It occurred to me that
I should introduce myself a bit.  I am a graduate student at the
University of Southern California.  I am working on a project that
examines how sumo is shown both in Japanese popular culture and the
presentation of foreign wrestlers.   I am comparing foreign wrestlers
and the sumo system to the Hollywood star system and its total
control over talent. During this time,  Sessue Hayakawa, a Japanese-
American actor was presented as a "model minority" who successfully
assimilated into American culture.  I want to compare him to sumo
wrestlers.   I am also looking at Richard Dyer's work on the
construction of the Hollywood star and would like to find general
materials in film that present sumo as a vehicle for assimilation or
even sumo in general.