Sakuran

Melek Ortabasi mortabas at hamilton.edu
Fri Mar 16 02:16:45 EDT 2007

Hi all,

Out of curiosity, given the recent discussion of live-action movies
based on manga. Has anyone seen _Sakuran_, possibly in Berlin? Any
thoughts? Since it's directed by a woman (photographer Ninagawa
Mika), based on a manga by a woman (Anno Moyoco), I wonder if the
film isn't a fairly rare breed? Also interesting: the fact that the
lead actress is half German (Tsuchiya Anna), but plays a (sort of)
Edo-period courtesan.....probably part of the reason it was selected
to screen in Berlin.

Sorry for the open-ended questions, but the psychedelic color scheme
of the film caught my eye, and I was just wondering if someone had
anything more profound to say about it.

Cheers,
Melek
--
Melek Ortabasi, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor

**Visiting Researcher at The University of Tokyo, 2006-2007**