Eigazukuri to mura he no michi

Mark Nornes amnornes
Sat Mar 31 09:19:02 EDT 2007

Ogawa was "behind" Filmmaking and the Way to the Village only to the
extent that he started and stopped it. By all accounts, Fukuda was on
his own and working independently. It was to be a "study film" that
would be his stepping stone to director (he was Ogawa's AD at the time).

One reason it's such a precious film is that it was made at a crucial
time in the life of Ogawa Pro, just as they were reaching the heights
of their rhetoric about collective production. Just as they were
making Heta Village, a film that shuttles the fighting at Sanrizuka
to the deep background and centers on the world of the village. The
thing is that, just as you noticed, the film makes it clear that
Ogawa was at the center of everything. In significant ways, it was a
collective in name only, and there were plenty of ways in which they
replicated the authoritarian structures of the film studio or PR film
company.

Perhaps the best of evidence of this is what happened to the film
when it was done: Ogawa hated it intensely. The collective sat around
in one of the discussions you see in the film, only this time they
were critiquing Fukuda's film. People who were there talk about how
brutal Ogawa was in his criticism, going on and on with all sorts of
things. What exactly set him off? No one claims to remember. I sensed
that this wasn't a refusal to remember. Rather, Ogawa's criticisms
were so trivial that they weren't worth remembering. For the "making
of" genre, it's a fine film.

But this left Fukuda debilitated. He stayed at Ogawa Pro, but the
experience dashed his hopes of becoming a director. At least in Ogawa
Pro. Instead, he left after several years and returned to Sanrizuka
to make his own Sanrizuka Series.

And as for the film, it remained in storage until Ogawa's death and
no one outside of the collective even knew it existed. But when
former members were rummaging around the Magino house after the
funeral, trying to figure out what to do with everything, Fukuda
noticed his film. He said something like, "Um, this is mine. Could I
take it?" Since Ogawa basically disowned it, everyone agreed that
Fukuda might as well keep it. Unfortunately, Fukuda died before he
was able to do anything. But he had cleaned up the film print and
soundtrack, making it clear that he had some plan in mind for it.

So to answer your question, , yes, Ogawa was explicit about his
problems with the film. But we don't know what the problem was. I
spoke to at least five people that were there for that discussion.
Each one of them did the head-tiling, breath-sucking, thought real
hard, and simply couldn't remember what the problem was.

Markus