Re. Photo Collection of Occupied Japan (CJS, UHM)

Richard Chalfen rchalfen at temple.edu
Sun May 6 22:53:08 EDT 2007

Dear List:

I was also taken with the first four images of the Photo
Collection of Occupied Japan, featuring a picture-card show man.
I am specifically referring to: “Kamishibai was one of the
most popular forms of entertainment for children in the
immediate postwar period. Kamishibaiya-san traveled by bicycle
from place to place to entertain children; he told stories
that corresponded with the pictures that he showed” as stated
in the ADDITIONAL INFO section attached to Photo 1.

Does anyone know more about this practice in Japan?
Or similar examples of a kamishibaiya-like business elsewhere
in the world?
Is this a unique piece of Japanese visual culture?

Many thanks for any leads,
Dick Chalfen
Emeritus, Anthro. Temple U.