Forest Stories

Eija Niskanen eija.niskanen at gmail.com
Thu May 31 19:38:29 EDT 2007

And don't forget Kurosawa Akira's Rashomon and its beautiful
camerawork of the forest!

Aoyama Shinji's Shady Grove is about human relations, but the image of
a grove plays into the plot.

Then there is Kore-eda Hirokazu's film Distance about a religious cult
resembling the Aum Shinrikyou. A lot of the film happens in a forest
and by a lake.

If you want to include animation, Miyazaki Hayao's Mononokehime is an
interesting depiction of the ancient Japan, and mythical forest gods.
Shintoism and its connections to forest and trees are an important
part of many Miyazaki films.

Eija