Bordwell on Ozu's "Late Spring" query

Lorenzo J. Torres Hortelano ljth2006
Sat May 12 11:18:59 EDT 2007

Lucky you, Kerim! I don?t remember it to be said in the movie? I had to find it out comparing the story of Morikawa (not related at all with that of Banshun) and Kakitsubata, which has really interesting similitude with Banshun, for example, a suffering woman because of the lost a love?

Lorenzo J. Torres

Universidad Rey Juan Carlos

Tenure Professor

Audiovisual Communication

  _____

De: owner-KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu [mailto:owner-KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu] En nombre de Kerim Yasar
Enviado el: viernes, 11 de mayo de 2007 19:11
Para: KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Asunto: RE: Bordwell on Ozu's "Late Spring" query

You're right, it is Kakitsubata, as I discovered while translating the subtitles for the Criterion DVD. I forget now exactly how I ascertained that, but as I recall it was quite a simple feat--I think it may have even been spelled out in the shooting script. Either that or I used Google, which makes solving these riddles infinitely easier than in the past.

- Kerim Yasar

"Lorenzo J. Torres Hortelano" <ljth2006 at gmail.com> wrote:

Another mistake is when Bordwell assumes that the Noh play in the middle of the movie is Morikawa (Bordwell,

1988: 310). It???s too long to argue here, but I prove in my book about Banshun* that the Noh play is really Kakitsubata (you can find this play edited: BRAZELL, Karen (1988): Twelve Plays of the Noh and Ky??gen Theathers, Ithaca, New York: Cornell University East Asia Papers, [1990]).

*You can buy it online: ??Primavera tard??a??, de Yasujiro Ozu: Cine cl??sico y po??tica Zen, Valladolid: Caja Espa??a* (in Spanish, plus DVD in o.v.) http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:Nzmx6tqRCpcJ:www.cajaespana.es/obs/cultura/publicaciones/aprendermirar/listapublicaciones/primaveratardia.jsp+caja+espa%C3%B1a+ozu+lorenzo <http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:Nzmx6tqRCpcJ:www.cajaespana.es/obs/cultura/publicaciones/aprendermirar/listapublicaciones/primaveratardia.jsp+caja+espa%C3%B1a+ozu+lorenzo&hl=es&ct=clnk&cd=9&gl=us&client=firefox-a> &hl=es&ct=clnk&cd=9&gl=us&client=firefox-a

  _____