How Can I Find Madamu To Nyobo (The Neighbor's Wife and Mine) 1931

Michael Kerpan mekerpan
Tue May 1 15:24:34 EDT 2007

Are you willing to watch this without subtitles?

If so I can probably lend you a copy.

Michael Kerpan ('79)
Roslindale, MA

----- Original Message ----
From: =%ISO-8859-1?Q?=22C=2E_Ch=E9_Salazar=22?= <csalazar at fas.harvard.edu>
To: kinejapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Sent: Tuesday, May 1, 2007 2:59:34 PM
Subject: How Can I Find Madamu To Nyobo (The Neighbor's Wife and Mine) 1931

I am a student studying film at Harvard University.  For my final paper
this semester, I am examining the Japanese transition from the Benshi
narration to the modern mechanical sound system.  As I do my
preliminary research, the film Madamu to Nyobo (1931) directed
by Heinosuke Gosho keeps coming up as the first successful Japanese
sound film.  It would help my paper a great deal to have a look at this
film, but I am having a terrible time finding it.  Somebody in the film
department of New York's Japanese Society reccomended that I post to
this list about my problem.  While I know that celluloid copies exist,
that's not very helpful to me, unless there is going to be a screening
around Boston within the next couple of weeks.   I don't think it's
been officially released anywhere on VHS or DVD, but these things
sometimes find their way to portable mediums unofficially.  I would
appreciate any help.  Also, if anybody knows of any articles that deal
specifically with this film and its relation to the fall of the benshi,
that would also be very useful.

Cheers,

C. Ch? Salazar